After a Saturday packed with tourist activities and an early morning scenic balloon flight on Sunday, it was time to stop and smell the roses 🙂
We started at the Scented Rose Garden and Tea House (1725 Bungendore Rd, Bywong, NSW – but 25 minutes from Canberra CBD!)
The Scented Rose Garden and Teahouse was built on an acre of land by the owners Ray and Gabrielle. They designed and built the Teahouse and surrounding gardens over 3 years in any spare time they had. The garden is filled with many David Austin roses and seasonal flowers.
The lovely Teahouse is set in the rose gardens and opened to the public in 2003. Since then it has been a very popular destination for many regular customers each season (September to March). If only we lived closer to become regular customers! The bears enjoyed some delicious fresh scones served warm with plenty of jam and cream, while I had a muguccino size caffeine hit!
Wonderful hospitality, beautiful gardens, delicious scones, we could have sat there all day looking out at the scenery…
…but we had more gardens to visit.
The next stop was Cockington Green Gardens (11 Gold Creek Road, Nicholls, ACT)
The Cockington Green Gardens opened to the public in 1979. This is another family owned and operated attraction, with four generations involved in it’s operation over the past 35 years.
Cockington Green Gardens offers its visitors an experience you will not find anywhere else, a venture into a delightful and fascinating display of meticulously crafted miniature buildings set within beautifully landscaped gardens.
The International Area, which first opened in 1998, is constantly growing with displays from many different parts of the world. These buildings are of various scales from 1/18 to 1/100 and are sponsored by High Commissions and Embassies in Canberra. The different scales allow for the larger exhibits to fit into the display area.
One of the most popular attractions of Cockington Green Gardens is the Miniature Steam Train. The train was specially made for Cockington Green Gardens and is a half-size replica of a Fowler Cane Loco and operates on a 12” gauge track with a drive configuration of 0-4-0. Originally fueled by coal, the mini steam train was converted to run on gas and is believed to be the only one of its kind. All bears aboard…
The Gardens of Old Parliament House offer a pleasant, rose filled place to pause, and smell the roses, in the heart of the Parliamentary Zone. Located on either side of Old Parliament House are the House of Representatives Garden and Senate Garden.
The Gardens of Old Parliament House were laid out in the emerging capital of Canberra in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Because the ‘Provisional’ Parliament House (as it was originally known) was deliberately kept simple and restrained in keeping with its temporary status, the design was carried through to the accompanying gardens.
From 1931 to 1938, the Secretary of the Joint House Department, Robert Broinowski, set about establishing gardens to the east and west of Old Parliament House. Originally, the rear courtyards of the building were open to the gardens through a colonnade, John Smith Murdoch’s intention being that members and Senators should be able to use the gardens as an integral part of the building. Later this intention was lost, as extensions were added to the back part of the building to provide more offices.
The gardens are enclosed by hedges and were planted with trees. Both the east and west gardens were divided into four quadrants, with two being occupied by rose gardens and the remaining two by recreational facilities, tennis courts, a cricket pitch and bowling green, for the exclusive use of members and staff.
The gardens were officially restored and re-opened in December 2004 following their decline after the Parliament moved to the new Parliament House in 1988. The gardens are now known as the National Rose Garden.
In November 2002, Mrs Tamie Fraser AO, patron of the Old Parliament House Gardens reconstruction project launched a campaign seeking public support through rose patronage. Around 2,400 people from around Australia became rose patrons, providing a contribution towards the reconstruction.
In December 2014, the ten-year rose patronage program came to an end. The beautiful roses will remain in place, along with their names, to assist those with a particular interest find specific varieties. Patrons often visit to check their sponsored rose which may celebrate a particular person or memorable occasion. It is hoped this special connection with the Gardens will continue into the future.
If the gardens want a special connection with Honey and Isabelle, they will have to include the highly scented Honey Perfume Rose and Isabelle Rose!